Washington, Sep 23 :
The airstrikes on the Islamic State (IS) targets in Syria overnight Monday were “only the beginning” of a coalition effort of the US and its Arabic allies in the anti-IS fight, a Pentagon spokesman said Tuesday.
“I can tell you that last night’s strikes were only the beginning,” Xinhua quoted Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby as saying during a press briefing.
The strikes had been “very successful” and would continue, the spokesman noted.
Meanwhile, another military spokesman William Mayville detailed the airstrikes, saying that the initial attack came in three waves. The first was launched from sea by cruise missiles followed by waves of US and Arab bombers and fighters.
For the first time, the US Air Force used its stealthy and expensive F-22 fighter in combat, he said.
A number of Arab countries, including Saudi Arabia, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain, participated in the second and third waves of attacks, the official said, adding the mission for Arab nations ranged from combat air patrols to strikes on targets.
Separately, the US also took action to disrupt the imminent plots against the US and Western interests conducted by a network of seasoned Al Qaeda veterans, known as the Khorasan Group, he said.
The group has established a safe haven in Syria to develop external attacks, construct and test improvised explosive devices and recruit Westerners to conduct operations.
US military forces and partner nations used a mix of fighters, bombers, remotely piloted aircraft and Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles and conducted 14 strikes against IS targets, a statement released by US Central Command said.