Sambalpur/ Cuttack , Aug 25 :
Seven year old Banita Kuanr (7), a class III student of Girishchandrapur Sevashram under Kisinda police limits in Sambalpur district who was admitted to SCB Medical College Hospital in Cuttack with 70% burn injuries is dead.
Banita had sustained severe burn injuries after she accidentally fell into a large pot of piping hot dal prepared for the mid-day meal at her school on Saturday.
Teachers in her school said the bizarre incident took place following a commotion among hungry students.
“As soon as lunch bell rang, the students rushed for the meal. The incident occurred following a jostling among them for egg curry,” a teacher said.
Redhakhol sub-collector, district inspector of schools and district welfare officer visited the village on Sunday for an inquiry into the bizarre incident.
The mishap has added to the massive public outrage over gross mismanagement of the mid-day meal scheme in schools across the state.