Home STATE 53 % water of 11 rivers wasted: CM

53 % water of 11 rivers wasted: CM

0
SHARE

OST Bureau
Bhubaneswar, Dec 3:

About 53 percent of water of 11 rivers in Odisha is wasted, said chief minister Naveen Patnaik in the Assembly on Monday.

Replying to a question from member Sanjib Kumar Sahu, Patnaik said of the 48732 cubic metres water of Mahanadi, 23 percent is used for irrigation, 0.23 for private use, 3.18 for industry, 21.50 for ecology and environment.

“In other words, 47.6 percent water of the river is used while the rest 52.4 percent is unutilized,” he informed the House.

He also said that 54.4 percent water of Brahmani river, 39.2 percent water of Baitarani river, 21.81 percent water of Rushikulya river is unutilized.

Referring to Subarnarekha river, the chief minister said only 15 percent of the river water is used for irrigation while 0.43 percent is used for private purpose.

He said in the 11 major rivers of the state, an average of 23 percent water is used for irrigation, 0.3 percent for home use while only 3.07 percent is used for industrial purpose.

Taking the average rate of consumption about 47.7 percent water of these 11 rivers are being utilized while the rest 52.3 percent of surplus water flow into the sea, he added.