Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Bargarh, Jan 26:
At least thirty-five students of Bileigarh Primary School fell sick after consuming spurious Boondi (sweet) distributed by school authorities on the occasion of Republic Day in Odisha. Food poisoning is suspected to be the reason.
The school is in Bileigarh village under Bhukta block of Bargarh district in Odisha. The incident happened between 9:30 – 10 AM after the children were distributed Boondi (Indian sweet) after Republic Day celebrations in their School. The students developed nausea and giddiness and some of them had vomiting too.
The children were admitted to Ruchida Panchayat community health centre (CHC) following the incident and some of them were shifted to Bhukta Block Medical and district headquarters hospital later as their condition deteriorated.
“I have asked Bhukta BDO to collect the samples. We will examine the samples and once we have the test results, we can identify what went wrong. We will take necessary action depending on the test results,” said Bijay Kumar Khandayat Ray, Sub-Collector of Bargarh.
Meanwhile, some of these students are under treatment at Bhukta Block Medical of the district and are said to be out of danger. Remaining 25 of them have been admitted to district headquarters hospital of Bargarh where their condition is said to be stable.
The district administration is keeping a close watch on the condition of the students and we are trying to facilitate all possible aid to ensure speedy recovery, he added.