Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Sonepur, Nov 22:
Two more elephants died of suspected electrocution today at Tithipali reserve forest in Odisha’s Sonepur district.
The two female pachyderms died after coming in contact with live wire.
As per reports, the jumbos died after coming in contact with solar fencing wire. It is suspected that someone had charged the fencing wire.
Though the reason behind the deaths was yet to be ascertained, the local forest officials suspect that the pachyderms might have died after coming in contacts with solar fencing wire.
The post-mortem report would reveal the reason of death, the officials added.
It may be recalled that two forest officials were put on suspension last month for dereliction of duty.
Bargarh Divisional Forest Officer (DFO) put the two staff—a Forester and a Forest Guard– under suspension for dereliction of duty that allegedly caused deaths of two female elephants on October 23.
The pachyderms reportedly died after coming in contact with live wires, when they entered into paddy fields in search of food, reportedly laid down by locals to hunt wild boars.
The incident had taken place in the Junani forest under the Bargarh forest division in western Odisha.