Rio de Janeiro, Nov 30:
Pele is likely to be discharged from hospital within a week as he continues to recover from a kidney problem, the football legend’s son Edinho said Saturday.
Speaking after visiting Pele in the intensive care unit of Sao Paulo’s Albert Einstein hospital, Edinho expressed relief at his father’s improving condition, Xinhua reported.
“I am very happy and relieved,” Edinho was quoted as saying by local newspaper Folha de S.Paulo.
“He was looking really well. He is being monitored all the time and little by little he is being taken off the medication and equipment.
“There is still no word on when he will be discharged but I think that by next weekend he should be at home. He is eating well and is keen to get out.”
Earlier on Saturday the hospital released a statement saying the 74-year-old would be taken off dialysis Sunday.
“[Pele] continues making good progress in the intensive care unit. He is lucid and stable from a hemodynamic and respiratory point of view,” the hospital said. “The renal support treatment will continue until tomorrow [Sunday] morning.”
Pele was admitted to the hospital Monday and initially received antibiotics to treat a urinary tract infection.
But he was transferred to the intensive care unit Thursday, where he was put on dialysis to help his kidneys filter waste products from the blood.
The three-time World Cup winner was discharged from the same hospital Nov 13 after undergoing surgery to remove kidney stones.
In the past decade Pele has undergone surgery for a detached retina and a hip replacement. (IANS)