Bhubaneswar: Even as Bhubaneswar is one of the major destinations for students and traders, over 6,000 people residing here are homeless in the fastest growing smart city.
Around 6,559 people in the smart city are spending nights in temples, railway stations and on footpaths, said a report ‘City Makers Bhubaneswar’ by ActionAid and Centre for Child and Women Development (CCWD).
As per the survey report released by Bhubaneswar MLA Priyadarsi Mishra at a special programme held at Lohia Academy here on Friday, among homeless citizens in the state capital, 79% are men and 21% are women. While 93% people are Odisha people, remaining 7% are from Maharashtra, Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal. Out of total homeless people, 28% are beggars, street vendors, rag pickers and rest are the construction workers.
The income of the homeless people is only Rs 105 per day, the report said.
The survey was conducted in 67 wards, which were divided into seven zones.