Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Malkangiri, Aug 6:
A lady teacher-cum hostel superintendent of a school hostel in Odisha’s Malkangiri district, who was arrested after a girl died of electrocution at the hostel, has landed in jail after being refused bail by the JMFC court Motu on Wednesday, police said today.
The lady teacher-cum hostel superintendent Jayanti Sahu was charged with negligence and held responsible for the death of the girl . She was arrested under section 166, 304 (A) of IPC and section 138 of Indian Electricity Act, the Kalimela police station in-charge officer Surendra Kumar Naik said.
According to Naik, the eleven-year-old Koya tribal girl Urmila Kabasi had died due to electrocution while she was hanging a mosquito net at the hostel of Project Upper Primary School, Block Colony, Kalimela, on August 2 night as the wall of the hostel room was charged with electricity.
She died on the spot, he added.
The police had earlier registered a case of unnatural death but added section 304 (A) IPC (causing death by negligence) later after they found the circumstances leading to the death of the girl was due to gross negligence on the part of the lady superintendent of the hostel, the officer-in-charge said.
The district administration had suspended the lady teacher following an administrative inquiry earlier.