Keonjhar: In an unusual incident, a school headmaster was suspended from his job after a Class IV girl student died of snake bite in classroom here in Odisha.
The incident took place at Barigaon Upgraded Primary School under Ghasipur police limits near Anandpur in Keonjhar district on Wednesday.
The deceased identified as Mamali Sahoo, the daughter of Pramod Sahoo of Barigaon village.
According to reports, a cobra inside an almirah placed on rear of the classroom stung on the hand of Mamali during the class yesterday. Even the teacher and other students in the class could not notice the incident.
Mamali died inside the classroom following bite by the venomous snake.
Source said that other students informed the class teacher and headmaster of the school about the incident. However, they did not take the matter seriously.
Later, the students informed the locals, who admitted Mamali to Anandpur subdivisional hospital.
However, the girl was declared brought dead at the hospital.
Taking action against the school authorities following the incident, the Block Education Officer (BEO) placed headmaster Keshab Chandra Sahoo under suspension.