Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Cuttack, Oct 7:
The Odisha Cricket Association (OCA) this evening submitted its report to the Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI) on the bottle-pelting incident during the T20 International match between India and South Africa at Barabati Stadium here on Monday.
Earlier in the day, BCCI president Shashank Manohar directed the OCA to file a report on the incident within 48 hours.
“They had given us 48 hours to send the report. We have sent the reply today itself. We have assured them that such incidents will not occur in the future. We won’t allow water bottles to be taken inside the stadium in future. We hope BCCI will be satisfied with our reply,” OCA secretary Asirbad Behera said.
Angry fans hurled water bottles towards the players on the ground during the match after the Indian team was bowled out for 92, their second-lowest total in T20 matches. It first started during the break between the innings and reecurred after 11 overs of the South African innings, stalling the match up to 27 minutes.
Though the match was resumed, it had to be stopped again after two more overs for another 24 minutes. It resumed again after security forces cleared a section of the crowd that was causing the disruption and pelting water bottles.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Tuesday ordered a probe into the incident causing embarrassment to the state government as well as the cricket fans. He has directed the Principal Secretary of Home Department to inquire into the matter and submit his report within a month.
Expressing displeasure over the incident, Patnaik has told OCA authorities and the top police officials present in the emergency review meeting to take necessary measures to avoid recurrence of such a situation in the future.