Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Bhubaneswar, Jul 1
The Higher Education department, has expressed concern over a massive fall of nearly one lakh in the number of applicants seeking admission in Plus Two courses in Odisha this year.
While over 4.5 lakh students have passed the annual High School Certificate (HSC) examinations this year, only 3,82,593 of them have applied for admission in Plus Two streams, which is around one lakh less than the number of students who had applied last year.
This means a large number of Plus Two seats are likely to fall vacant this year.
“Keeping the better results in the annual HSC examinations this year in view, the Higher Education department this year had increased the number of Plus Two seats by 10 to 20 percent in the colleges depending on their present strength and infrastructure facilities. However, there has been a fall in the number of Plus Two applicants by about one lakh this year while the number of applicants was about 4.8 lakh last year,” Mihir Kumar Das, OIC, e-Admission, Higher Education, told the media yesterday evening.
The first cut off marks for Plus Two admissions were announced this morning. The first phase admission would be held from July 4 to 8.
“Students selected for admission in the first phase have to take admission in the college they have applied for or else they would be debarred from admission in any college in the current academic session,”
He said a total of 577 SAMS Resource centres have been opened in the state to provide necessary information to the students on admission.
There are 1512 Plus Two colleges in Odisha having a total of 4,41,220 seats.