Home STATE Inspiring tale: Odisha boy who lost hand in mishap back in school

Inspiring tale: Odisha boy who lost hand in mishap back in school

0
SHARE

Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Malkangiri, Jul 23:

B Yakub, a class IX student of IMST English Medium School in Malkangiri district of Odisha, who had sustained severe burn injuries and lost his right hand while working at a road construction site to pay for his school uniform, is finally back in school after one long year.

B Yakub, who lost his right hand while working at a road construction site in July last year
B Yakub, who lost his right hand while working at a road construction site in July last year

“I never thought I would be back in school again. The Child Welfare Department of Odisha Government has provided my all possible help. I have been given a plastic hand by IMST school committee as well. Now I am hopeful. I want to continue my studies further so that I can get a job,” said Yakub.

A poor boy without his right hand, very few expected to see him back in school again. But his love for education has set an example. Both the teachers and his friends in school are ecstatic to see him back in the school, even though he would have to join Class-IX again.

“I am very happy to see Yakub Bhai here. Never thought a day would come when he would be able to study and play with us. He is working hard to catch up on the lessons and trying to write with his left hand. We all pray for his good health and prosperity,” said one of his classmates in the school.

“He has been given an artificial hand by the IMST school committee. He is quite enthusiastic about it. He wants to continue his studies and wants to stand up on his own in his life. All of us, the students and teachers alike, are extremely pleased to see him back in the school again. This has been made possible because of the goodwill of everyone around. I wish him the best,” said his teacher Sashibu Kirtania.

It may be noted that the 17-year old boy from Korukonda village of Malkangiri district had sustained severe burn injuries on June 1, 2014 when he came in contact with a 33 KV live electric wire while he was at work on the road construction site. He had taken up the job to earn some money to buy his school uniform.