Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Baleswar / Keonjhar, Aug 16:
There has been some improvement in the condition of the six students who were taken seriously ill after a suspected case of food poisoning yesterday, sources in the district headquarters hospital in Odisha’s Balasore town said today..
They were admitted to the Balasore district headquarters hospital after their condition turned serious on Friday at the Soro hospital where they had been initially admitted for suspected food poisoning, said hospital sources.
Around 250 school students were taken ill on Friday due to suspected food poisoning at the Banabishnupur High school under Soro police station, police said.
After unfurling of the Tricolour, school authorities distributed sweets among the students. Soon after eating the sweets, some students complained of nausea, police said adding the parents of the sick students brought them to Soro hospital.
A medical team was sent to the school to camp there. Ambulances and private vehicles were pressed into service to carry sick students to hospitals at Soro and Baleswar, district collector Aravind Agarwal said.
The Chief District Medical Officer (CDMO) of Balasore Dr Anup Ghose said more than 150 students were treated because of some kind of food contamination, but the situation was under control.
A report from Keonjhar district said in a similar incident around 15 students were hospitalised after consuming sweets in their schools at Ata village under Bota gram panchayat, the police said.
Reports said two of them are being shifted to SCB Medical College and Hospital at Cuttack today as their condition turned serious.