Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Kendrapara, Apr 23:
Workers digging a bore well in Mathasahi village in Kendrapada district of Odisha ran away in panic as the gas came out with the water caught fire when a lighted matchstick was thrown on it, today morning.
The incident occurred when a bore well was being dug in the backyard of one Sadasiba Mallick a residence of the village.
According to Mallick, a loud sound was heard after the water burst out of the hole of the bore well after digging the ground for about 50 feet. When a lighted matchstick was thrown in it caught fire.
This has created fear among the villagers who suspect it to some combustible underground gas.
“After the explosion, some gas started erupting out of the hole. When we exposed it to flame, it started burning. Following the incident, all people engaged in the installation of the bore well left ”, Mallick said.
Meanwhile, a probe has been ordered by the the district collector into the matter.