Bhubaneswar, Sep 28:
A 86-year-old man undergoing treatment at Capital Hospital here was very badly hurt when a ceiling fan landed on his chest Saturday morning. Thankfully, he appears to have survived the bolt from the blue, as it were.
Capital Hospital Director, Dr Sudhir Chandra Mallick confirming the occurrence of the mishap said the victim Padma Lochan Sahu, a paralysis patient who was admitted to the hospital three days back, did not sustain serious internal injuries.
“Following the mishap we have conducted an X-Ray. There is no fracture or any serious internal injury and the patient’s condition is now stable. He is under observation,” said Dr Mallick, adding that the General Electrical Department (GED), division-I had repaired the fan on September 22 this year.
“My father was sleeping when the ceiling fan suddenly fell on him. As he is unable to speak he couldn’t explain the type of injury he sustained but his facial expression showed that he received serious internal chest and stomach injuries” said Prafulla Sahu, the victim’s son.
Padma Lochan, a native of Mangalajodi under Tangi police limits in Khurda district was admitted at bed number 182 of male Medicine ward on September 25 as he was suffering from a paralytic attack on the left side of his body.
When contacted, the GED division-I junior engineer Padma Charan Panda held his subordinate electricians responsible for the incident.
The Hospital Director said an inquiry will be conducted into the mishap.