Odisha Sun Times Bureau
Rayagada, Aug 30:
At least 41 girl students of a residential school at Kereba under Gunupur block in Odisha’s Rayagada district have been admitted to hospital after they fell sick last night due to suspected food poisoning, officials said today.
As the girl students started vomiting and felt uneasy, they were rushed to the nearby community health centre (CHC) for immediate treatment. Soon, they had to be shifted to Gunupur sub-divisional hospital as there was no marked improvement in their condition.
After getting the information, Gunupur sub-collector, tribal development project administrator and additional district welfare officer, among others, rushed to the hospital to enquire about the health condition of the students.
Earlier in the day, a medical team comprising doctors from Jagannathpur CHC and Gunupur sub-division hospital visited the residential school to investigate the circumstances under which the students fell sick.
“The girls were admitted to hospital with complaints of loose motion and vomiting. So, we think that it could have happened due to food poisoning. Condition of almost all of them is stable except three-four girls who are being administered intravenous fluids as they had dehydrated,” said Dr Biswambar Behera, Gunupur sub-divisional medical officer (SDMO).